News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2014-7-1 Xfinity Center - Mansfield, MA - Post Show Discussion

Started by emay, July 01, 2014, 11:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

Solid show! Had a blast.
They were feeling it last night!
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

cactusfan

some nice bits here and there. though i think they just piped in the album version of Waiting All Night.

highlight is Hood. beautiful version. the one real keeper from this show.

cleech74

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 02, 2014, 01:11:14 PM
Quote from: cleech74 on July 02, 2014, 01:09:10 PM
I'm listening to this show, now. I'm in the middle of Stash, digging the jam. Good stuff, so far. Can't wait to hear set two. Did they add the second jam back in Mike's? Fish did address that in his recent radio interview.

nope they didnt.

Just listened to that. Great Mike's Groove, with the nice Ghost>Paug seg. Listening to Hood. Starts dirty, and Trey's tone early is good. I'm in the jam, and like what I hear. It's been 10 yrs, since they (minus Mike) called it quits. I like where they are, as a band.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

mbw

sls.stormyrider

enjoying the 1st set so far
Fish is playing really well. IMO he makes Fuego.
btw, as I was listening to Fuego something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it. But then......

no whale call
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

I would have been very happy with this show.  Liking the new tunes, Stash is a beast, the Hood delivers big time and they all seem to be pretty on point with their playing.  Sure I would love Trey to have the nimble fingers he once had but I find the others make up for it imo.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

susep

the word of the day was fuego:  hot weather, hot women, hot music, hot everything.  mehead and I were cooking in the lot literally. 

really good show, first time in a long time I've felt 100% satisfied with a Phish show.

Stash was nice, I could hear Mike modulating early in the jam.  As mentioned above Hood was indeed the show highlight, really nice jamming. 

I liked that Trey was less rock peak, listening more and giving Page more room to shine(Julius among other examples).

There were various teases and quotes by Trey as well, always a good sign.  Check out his quote of a transition riff of the Allman's Whipping Post at 4:21 in Birds. 

All in all, a very good night of Phish. 

sophist

1) New Tunes sound good.  I actually like them better live than the polished turd that is the album.  All the "fancy" effects on the vocals seem very anti-phish to me.  As much as I complain about their ability to create good harmonies.  They weren't bad this show. 

2) It's taking 5 years, but Stealing Time is actually a decent opener.  Kinda a slow pace, and we get whale'd out the gate, but at the same time, for the 3.0 tunes the whale sound works and I expect it.  Overall, new tunes, and the other 3.0 tunes sound good

3) I must not be listening to the same stash.  Same shit it's been since 3/6/09.  They still can't resolve the D minor to peak the jam.  It meanders less, and isn't as whale-y or trite in being atonal as previous 3.0 versions.  It's not piercing on my ears like many other versions.  But it is still a throw away version to me

4) Overall first set was kinda boring to me.  Songs were played fine.  But no flow.  And it seemed pretty disjointed at times.  Fuego is just Frankenstein for me, it just sounds like Reba in that they glued all these vastly different sections together, only it's 3.0 compositions, so it sounds more like Genesis with vagina's rather than King Crimson with pythons.  Not a bad thing, it's just an adjustment for these ears. 

5) re: Pieguy.  I know, Phish in 3.0 finally took a lesson from Panic and got a god damn segue right.  I shit my pants in disbelief.  Pretty much Mike's though Paug has some smooth transitions.  The Ghost -> Paug segue is pretty good.  Only beef, the ghost jam had just hit a syncopation groove that is interesting (and reminiscent of 12/31/10 and based off 6/23/00's Aminor -> Gmajor vamp) and the reigns are pulled in to segue (gotta give props for the modulation out of A major into D major for Weekapaug).  And for the love of God, Trey needs to learn to count quarter notes.  They still can't hit the halftime break down and pause in the composition section.  It's easy.  I know it's a minor detail, but it is crucial to the explosion that should happen to open up the jam section of Ghost. 

6) Hood gets very "Tahoe Tweezer-y."  It's interesting, but not new territory.  Perhaps this ambient section is the new plinko? 

7) I didn't listen to Julius, I would have bounced to get a $12 heady Topper on lot and a balloon. 

Overall, it's a lot better of a tour opener than
7/7/03
6/17/04
5/31/09
6/11/10
6/7/12
7/3/13

5/27/11 might be better.  I'd have to go back and listen.  I think they actually sound mildly cohesive.  I never heard a moment of Trey being lost.  His fingers sound slightly better.  There was actually diversity in his ability to lay out lead and rhythm.  I normally hate what he does in 3.0 Ghosts, but I found myself tapping a long.  I won't lie.  I still wish to hear a tape one day where everything he plays culminates in me pulling my hair out and mumbling over, and over "how and where in the fuck did that happen?"  Rest of the band sounded fine.  I thought Fish had a little rust. 

Defining difference between this, and say Summer '09 with the Joy material, is it actually sounds like Phish is pumped about playing these songs, where as summer and fall '09 would have periods of Phish morphing into the Treigh band.  And the energy just wasn't there.  Then again I'd fucking hate having to play My Problem Right There and all the HOAHB tunes when perfectly good music is getting dusty on a shelf too.  Only other concern I have is the complacency that could or can occur from reducing the catalog on tour.  I always enjoyed having covers and new covers unfold, it's part of the Phish experience, and a vital one at that.  And if this tour is that Fuego heavy, while I don't doubt the playing is better, it may literally become the same record every night.     

I'm looking forward to what they do with this SPAC run. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Good thoughts and thanks for sharing.

Yes, they said they were going to cut back on the covers this summer, but it's hard to say they've limited their catalogue after one show. Remember, never trust a prankster. Also, I doubt I'd be surprised if they're going to play 1/2 of the Fuego material every night.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

sophist

Quote from: antelope19 on July 03, 2014, 09:35:04 AM

Yes, they said they were going to cut back on the covers this summer, but it's hard to say they've limited their catalogue after one show. Remember, never trust a prankster. Also, I doubt I'd be surprised if they're going to play 1/2 of the Fuego material every night.
I got a pretty good feeling 7/3 gets tres Fuego songs tonight. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Quote from: sophist on July 03, 2014, 09:56:48 AM

Yeah, you might be right.  Get the new stuff out of the way so the 4th can be a total throw down of epcot proportions! 

sophist

back on topic

Quote from: antelope19 on July 03, 2014, 10:36:58 AM

Yeah, you might be right.  Get the new stuff out of the way so the 4th can be a total throw down of epcot proportions!
not to be THAT guy, but seriously, the last good July 4th show was 7/4/00

7/4/10 - pretty god damn awful
7/4/12 - incredibly god damn awful

7/4/99 had some good highlights, some slop too.  Batting 1/4 with the last four. 

You know how this goes.  My money is on 7/5 being the best of the weekend. 

antelope19

Quote from: sophist on July 03, 2014, 11:18:35 AM
back on topic

7/4/99 had some good highlights, some slop too.  Batting 1/4 with the last four. 

Well, 07/04/00 happens to be the last 4th of July phish show I saw so......you know.....     :roll:

DoW

Quote from: sophist on July 03, 2014, 11:18:35 AM
back on topic

the thing about the 7/4/00 show was the top highlights was the Jibboo and most people were sick of that song by that time.  but when you come out and play, everyone is happy.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate