News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New thread for the Wikka Wiki Wikipaug.

Started by jephrey, April 14, 2006, 10:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

what about CSS?  can this wiki handle it?  that might be a better option than using a bunch of html... just a thought
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Benefits to mediawiki...

internal links can have spaces
section linking
no infinity
you can upload images (I guess you can but it's not easy)
you can "list" the sections at the top instead of coding them
No html unless you want to. 
EVERY function has more options
right/left/center justification is easy
tables, although like html, don't need html to code.
EASIER for the casual user.

I think that last one is a killer.  Do we really want to teach everyone how to code html to enter a setlist?  True that much is copy/paste but there's just so much more required.  Wikka makes a good case for itself, but mediawiki is like azureus and Wikka is like uTorrent.

Would you be against switching if it's feasible and everyone else wanted to Jedi?

And keep in mind.  My opinion counts for 3   :wink:haha

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

no, i'm not against moving, but i think the true decision must be made by those that run the server... guy choose wikka for a reason, so i hate to ask him to switch since they were nice enough to lend us the server space, and setup the wiki in the 1st place.

but your right, whatever happens, it should happen now
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I don't think we asked why he decided on wikka. 

He may have seen that it's lighter and requires less setup.  And you're right, I'm not making any kind of decision until guy can chime in or unless tet has the power and is willing to make the change.

We still have to hear from aug...  And phan and groovy, you can chime in too.  go check out mediawiki.

I'm just not going to work that quickly at this point.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

if u wanna switch, we'll do it now.  i'll make a new thread with a poll (not that guyforget or myself will abide by any results, as we use Diebold Voting Machines here on the forums).  and i do have the power to make the switch, having root access on the system... but considering guyforget owns this domain, it's not my call to make.

but, i don't think this is all that bad, it's just different.  i like the mediawiki ability to upload images, but we've gotta be able to control that sort of stuff.  i'll look into it, though i know guyforget has already done a bunch of research before picking this one.  i'm pretty sure he chose this based on features and recommendations, not on lightweightness...  we've got a powerful enough box for that not to matter.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

tet

wikka seems pretty extendable...

http://wikkawiki.org/CodeContributions

under the graphics extensions, is there anything there you'd want to try out?
-Phish

jedifunk

i agree, that most of the stuff isnt going to require much coding... it is gonna be 85% copy & paste + a few changes... thats really it.  once the 1st page of its kind (ie: setlists, details, year, tour pages) is setup we can just copy & paste...

but again, i can go either way... it does seem to me that mediawiki is more powerful... BUT i also like the idea that wikka will allow flash (i've already got ideas swirling in my head)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

tet

mediawiki was written for wikipedia and has subsequently been released to the public, so it surely seems to have a more powerful featureset...  that being said, i have found wikka very easy thusfar, and those extensions/alterations on the page i list above might add some of the functionality you desire.
-Phish

jephrey

OK, that's fine with me.  I'm back and forth anyhow.  And yes, there's many different code formatters although I don't know if that means you can actually write in them or it will just display code in them  CSS is in there.

LANGUAGE     FORMATTER
Actionscript    actionscript
ADA    ada
Apache Log    apache
ASM    asm
ASP    asp
Bash    bash
C    c
C for Macs    c_mac
c#    csharp
C++    cpp
CAD DCL    caddcl
CadLisp    cadlisp
CSS    css
Delphi    delphi
HTML    html
Java    java
Javascript    javascript
Lisp    lisp
Lua    lua
NSIS    nsis
Objective C    objc
OpenOffice BASIC    oobas
Pascal    pascal
Perl    perl
PHP    php
Python    python
Q(uick)BASIC    qbasic
Smarty    smarty
SQL    sql
VB.NET    vbnet
Visual BASIC    vb
Visual Fox Pro    visualfoxpro
XML    xml

J

tet

from what i understand, you can write CSS code into wikka pages...
-Phish

jephrey

Someone mentioned an mp3 snippet.  Maybe not for sources, but just to listen to a 1min segment or so.  We'd obviously have to have a place to host them.  This might be cool in the future

Mp3Player - a simple player for mp3 files if a url is added. [code & swf file]

WikkaForum - allows small discussion forums to be placed on any wiki page [action & new table]
this would be awesome for discussion instead of the comments section.  Can the comments sect be removed?

AnchorAction - Anchor(s) in wikka-pages [action, code] - this is big...  Maybe we can get this going before continuing with the html anchors?  another benefit is that the links may also look internal(without the infinity)

So a couple good ones, but we'll have to do a lot in html (or CSS) still.

Jephrey

tet

ok, tried the anchor stuff, doesn't seem to work.  check out the documentation for usage here:  http://wikkawiki.org/AnchorAction

-Phish

tet

ah, wait... reading thru the comments on that page now, have to update some of the code
-Phish

tet

fixed it.  so far, i only see how to have it link to an anchor on the same page, not a target on another page.  however, i don't see that being hard to figure out.

syntax is as such:

to set an anchor on a page:

{{anchor name="name"}}

and to jump to that anchor:

{{anchor target="name" text="jump to name"}}
-Phish

jedifunk

sweet!!! thanks tet!  mac guys rule! :-D
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio