News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: mattstick on January 07, 2012, 12:34:14 PM

I think the problem is that you added your stuff to a broth mixture when all you needed was water.  I'd boil it down and keep adding water to dilute.  You shouldn't need salt.

It's a pretty in-exact science though, if it doesn't work you're not out very much.

I'd agree with this. You don't need to add in the broth when that's essentially what you're creating. Water works just fine.

Quote from: Igbo on January 07, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
IMO, I wouldn't let it boil. Just a very low simmer barely bubbling. When you boil bones it tends to cloud your stock due to the heat releasing albumen (protein funk) out of the bones and carcass.

Also, I did NOT know this. Thanks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

McGrupp

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 12, 2012, 10:04:11 AM
Quote from: mattstick on January 07, 2012, 12:34:14 PM

I think the problem is that you added your stuff to a broth mixture when all you needed was water.  I'd boil it down and keep adding water to dilute.  You shouldn't need salt.

It's a pretty in-exact science though, if it doesn't work you're not out very much.

I'd agree with this. You don't need to add in the broth when that's essentially what you're creating. Water works just fine.

Quote from: Igbo on January 07, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
IMO, I wouldn't let it boil. Just a very low simmer barely bubbling. When you boil bones it tends to cloud your stock due to the heat releasing albumen (protein funk) out of the bones and carcass.

Also, I did NOT know this. Thanks.

I only added stock because I figured one carcass wouldn't have enough flavor for the amount of stock I wanted to make. Also, regarding the boiling bones thing, I learned this week that with some cheesecloth, you can strain all that protein funk out (if you overboil like I did).

Stock turned out great. I had to skim a shitload of fat off the top, but after I did that, it turned out just the way I wanted it to.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

This is my own recipe

Verde Chicken Chili

2 tbsp Olive oil
Blackened Seasoning
Curry Powder
Kayanne Pepper powder 
1 12 oz can bud-lite
2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 red onion (diced up)
4 portobello mushroom caps (diced)
1 green pepper (diced up)
1 bag of uncooked rice
1/2 jalapeno diced and seeded
1 can of red beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes with seasoning and peppers in it
1 can of verde sauce
4 flour tortillas
cumin
black pepper
salt

I started by cutting up all the chicken into small pieces.  Add 2tbsp of olive oil to a skillet and heat.  add chicken and season with blackened seasoning, curry powder, and kayanne pepper powder.  As the chicken starts to cook, add about 4 ounces of bud-lite to pan.  let it boil down, and then add 4 more ounces to continue cooking.  Before pouring the last four ounces, add veggies (onion, jalapeno, mushrooms, and green pepper) to pan.  Pour the last 4 ounces of beer into the skillet and let it boil down. 

In a crock pot, add 1 can of black beans, 1 can of read beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes with seasoning and peppers in it,  1 can of verde sauce.  Throw the chicken + veggies on top and stir in.  Set crock pot to low, and cook for 4.5 hours.  With thirty minutes to go boil rice, drain, and add cooked rice to crock pot. 

With fifteen minutes left on the crock pot, take 4 flour tortillas and coat both sides lightly with olive oil.  then season both sides with salt, pepper, cumin, and curry powder.   Pre-heat oven to 400.  Cut the tortillas up like a pizza.  Once oven reaches temperature, place chips on a cooking sheet and cook for 6-7 minutes.  The tips should curl up, and the chips will be brown.  Careful, they can burn easily.  Once out of the oven, allow chips to cool. 

place chili in a bowl, add cheese, a little sour cream, and then top with a few of the chips . 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 16, 2012, 12:24:39 PM
This is my own recipe

Verde Chicken Chili

2 tbsp Olive oil
Blackened Seasoning
Curry Powder
Kayanne Pepper powder 
1 12 oz can bud-lite
2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 red onion (diced up)
4 portobello mushroom caps (diced)
1 green pepper (diced up)
1 bag of uncooked rice
1/2 jalapeno diced and seeded
1 can of red beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes with seasoning and peppers in it
1 can of verde sauce
4 flour tortillas
cumin
black pepper
salt

I started by cutting up all the chicken into small pieces.  Add 2tbsp of olive oil to a skillet and heat.  add chicken and season with blackened seasoning, curry powder, and kayanne pepper powder.  As the chicken starts to cook, add about 4 ounces of bud-lite to pan.  let it boil down, and then add 4 more ounces to continue cooking.  Before pouring the last four ounces, add veggies (onion, jalapeno, mushrooms, and green pepper) to pan.  Pour the last 4 ounces of beer into the skillet and let it boil down. 

In a crock pot, add 1 can of black beans, 1 can of read beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes with seasoning and peppers in it,  1 can of verde sauce.  Throw the chicken + veggies on top and stir in.  Set crock pot to low, and cook for 4.5 hours.  With thirty minutes to go boil rice, drain, and add cooked rice to crock pot. 

With fifteen minutes left on the crock pot, take 4 flour tortillas and coat both sides lightly with olive oil.  then season both sides with salt, pepper, cumin, and curry powder.   Pre-heat oven to 400.  Cut the tortillas up like a pizza.  Once oven reaches temperature, place chips on a cooking sheet and cook for 6-7 minutes.  The tips should curl up, and the chips will be brown.  Careful, they can burn easily.  Once out of the oven, allow chips to cool. 

place chili in a bowl, add cheese, a little sour cream, and then top with a few of the chips .

Sounds great. I'll have to try that.

Looks like you're becoming a real cook now. Leaps and bounds past this, it seems:

whatever the fuck that is ^  :? :wink:

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

You judging food? 

That's like a hooker bitching about the cleanliness of one of their "clients." 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 16, 2012, 03:24:54 PM
You judging food? 

How do you think I got the name Dirty George?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on January 16, 2012, 03:30:23 PM
You judging food? 

I figured your mom walked in you fingering your butthole to pictures of slightly wrapped junior bacon cheeseburgers. 

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 16, 2012, 04:30:27 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on January 16, 2012, 03:30:23 PM
You judging food? 

I figured your mom walked in you fingering your butthole to pictures of slightly wrapped junior bacon cheeseburgers.

They were actually taco bell grilled stuffed burritos. At that time I was into the softcore shit. No pun intended.

gah

I went back through the pages looking for a solid chili recipe, preferably crock pot compatible, and found there's actually quite a few people have suggested. Looks like jephrey's was mentioned the most, is that the one to try or any other newer suggestions? Always a fan of soups and chilis through winter, as others have mentioned as well.

sophist

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 16, 2012, 05:00:15 PM
I went back through the pages looking for a solid chili recipe, preferably crock pot compatible, and found there's actually quite a few people have suggested. Looks like jephrey's was mentioned the most, is that the one to try or any other newer suggestions? Always a fan of soups and chilis through winter, as others have mentioned as well.
peep my verde chicken chili recipe

nab

You can't go wrong with Jephrey's chili recipe.  It is my go to standard. 

As far as any other suggestions, hit me up with a request and I'll tell you how to make it.     

McGrupp

Quote from: nab on January 16, 2012, 05:11:51 PM

As far as any other suggestions, hit me up with a request and I'll tell you how to make it.   

Jephrey's is the chronic. Hands down.

Quote from: sophist on January 16, 2012, 05:02:57 PM

peep the shameless self-promotion

gah

Quote from: McGrupp on January 16, 2012, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: nab on January 16, 2012, 05:11:51 PM

Jephrey's is the chronic. Hands down.

Quote from: sophist on January 16, 2012, 05:02:57 PM

peep the shameless self-promotion

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Yeah, I'm looking at making Jephrey's first. But yeah, I saw yours too Ramz, gonna give it a shot, thinking of trying a different recipe every week or two through the rest of winter...dig the use of making the chips from the flour tortillas.

gah

Quote from: Tomapella on November 19, 2009, 07:58:57 PM
Taken from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Banana-Bread/Detail.aspx and changed slightly.  It's a standby for baking when I'm in the mood, and is really good with 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup chocolate chips or so.  Just made a batch tonight for this weekend, I can bring some to share, though there might not be much left by the time I meet up with you all :)

Banana Banana Bread

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup butter
    * 3/4 cup brown sugar
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 2 medium-size bananas

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
   2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
   3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes (too long for my oven, besides I like to keep it good and moist)

As a side note, looking back through, I made this yesterday afternoon. With vegan carob chips instead, but still...something I realized about baking, you have to be spot on with measurements, it's not like eyeballing and winging stuff in the way I like to cook otherwise.

McGrupp

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 16, 2012, 05:31:03 PM
Quote from: Tomapella on November 19, 2009, 07:58:57 PM
Taken from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Banana-Bread/Detail.aspx and changed slightly.  It's a standby for baking when I'm in the mood, and is really good with 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup chocolate chips or so.  Just made a batch tonight for this weekend, I can bring some to share, though there might not be much left by the time I meet up with you all :)

Banana Banana Bread

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup butter
    * 3/4 cup brown sugar
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 2 medium-size bananas

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
   2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
   3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes (too long for my oven, besides I like to keep it good and moist)

As a side note, looking back through, I made this yesterday afternoon. With vegan carob chips instead, but still...something I realized about baking, you have to be spot on with measurements, it's not like eyeballing and winging stuff in the way I like to cook otherwise.

Very true. Much more of a science.