News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: cactusfan on October 01, 2009, 11:22:37 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 01, 2009, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on October 01, 2009, 12:57:08 PM
A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

i've read a bunch of his books over the years, they're always good, but i think this one may be the best. so much better than the movie version.

If you like him.  Please check out the novels from Jack Womack.  His novels "Elvissey", "Ambient", "Heathern", etc are all wonderful cyberpunk novels from the 1980's.  Highly underrated stuff.  Very socio-political and very applicable in the world today.

Also, you may want to find "White Light" by Rudy Rucker.  Rudy Rucker is an amazing author that combines cyberpunk, philosophy, history, quantum theory and higher level mathematics in an interesting way that is stimulating and rewarding. 

I think you'll find that these are not only easier to read than Gibson and Dick, but that they are more entertaining and less direct as well.

When you are done with these...read Vert and Pollen by Jeff Noon.  You won't be sorry.

i love science fiction-- yet find much of it to be crap. i've heard all about Rucker. i suppose i'll give him a try eventually.  Womack and Noon, maybe. i read a lot of books, and there's a long list...

sorry, that came out rather bitter. i do appreciate any and all book recommendations.

speaking of crappy sf, just finished Lord of Light by Zelazny.
what a load of horseshit that was. and a Hugo winner to boot.
decent writing, actually, but yikes, it was all this late '60s hinduism/buddhism jibber jabber, lots of gods who sort of maybe aren't really gods, doing battle or who knows what, all with a sort of implied science fictiony vibe. i guess.

As far as Sci-Fi books are concerned all of those go down like a fine bottle of wine...very satisfying and enlightening.

sprobeck

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.  When I saw it at Borders I thought the cover looked really familiar. I've seen it somewhere before. Maybe here. I'm enjoying it so far.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

justjezmund

just borrowed The Lost Symbol from the buddy lets see how it really is.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

PhishPhan

Just started Mike's Corner. Got it last week at Gordon's show in Madison.

Gol D. Roger

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

postjack

China Mieville - The City & The City

Just finished this one.  In terms of world building, I found it pretty exhilarating.  Its hard to describe, but basically it describes a modern place in which two "different" cities exist.  The thing is the occupy the same physical space, but citizens in one city aren't allowed to see, hear, or otherwise sense anyone or anything in the other city (they unsee, unhear, unsense, etc).  If a citizen of one city happens to truly appear to be sensing something going on in the other city, a powerful secret police force (named "Breach", after the aforementioned act) shows up and disappears them.  Basically the book is a pretty good murder mystery that takes place in this setting, so you can begin to imagine the conflicts that could occur during an investigation.  Good story, great setting.  Mieville is amazing.

now reading:

China Mieville - The Iron Council

Had this on my shelf for years, finally pulling it down and reading it.  Its nice to be back in New Crobozun.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

whyweigh5.0

wow
so I am at my moms house.  There is a book sitting next to the tv.  I pick it up to see what she is reading and its this...
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Hicks

ha, your mom is definitely hipper than mine.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Lifeboy

Started this one a few nights ago.

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: Hicks on October 16, 2009, 05:36:55 PM
ha, your mom is definitely hipper than mine.

yes, she is hipper than a lot of parents.  I am lucky
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

mbw

just finished:

the best of the three of his ive read so far.  really good stuff.
now for something completely different.  finally getting around to:

birdman

My wife and I both read and loved East of Eden a few years back. Great read.

I'm currently reading a compilation of Pynchon's short stories called Slow Learner.
Much easier on the brain than his massive novels.
Paug FTMFW!

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: birdman on October 16, 2009, 09:17:12 PM

I'm currently reading a compilation of Pynchon's short stories called Slow Learner.

I want to check out this one soon

mbw

so excited.  im only about 20 pages in and loving it....

kellerb

Didn't realize he wrote any short stories.  All I've read is Gravity's Rainbow.  What are his short stories like?  Seems like he'd almost have to have a completely different style to write something short.