News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

mbw

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 02, 2011, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on January 26, 2011, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 26, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.

Started this. Actually, was describing this to someone yesterday, yeah, it's about a badger thats floated down from this other world of animal ancestors, and he's parachuted down on his scrotum, cause it's so big, and drinks lots of sake and is a bit of a womanizer, and gets all these chicks pregnant...oh because he can transform to human form, kind of...and at this point i realized how ridiculous I sounded so changed the subject  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

that should have been the point where you realized how awesome you sounded.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 09, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 02, 2011, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on January 26, 2011, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 26, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
given your mutual likes of robbins and sake, you should read 'villa incognito.'

Solid. Added to my list of books to look for from the local used book shop I hit up.

Started this. Actually, was describing this to someone yesterday, yeah, it's about a badger thats floated down from this other world of animal ancestors, and he's parachuted down on his scrotum, cause it's so big, and drinks lots of sake and is a bit of a womanizer, and gets all these chicks pregnant...oh because he can transform to human form, kind of...and at this point i realized how ridiculous I sounded so changed the subject  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

that should have been the point where you realized how awesome you sounded.

It's true. But this was before the whole Charlie Sheen thing happened. If it happened after, I could have easily ended with, "and that's why I'm a winner!"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 07, 2011, 03:59:40 PM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on March 07, 2011, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 30, 2011, 11:39:33 AM
Quote from: birdman on January 29, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Mr Minor on January 29, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
Although it was an easy read, still a really cool story.

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

Or for anyone that appreciates an interesting story that's just a fun read.

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is OK. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.

Yes!  I forgot about The Long Walk!  What a great short story.  I am going to have to go back and reread that.

I just started the 2nd book, and isn't looking good.

I imagine the movie version will be 'kid friendly' but could be so much better if they make it intense and more PG-13 ish.

Picked up "The Hunger Games" last Thursday and I'm pretty much done with already. Very good read, I was a little apprehensive at first based on the book description but its turned into a book I can't put down.

Even though it sounds like books 2 & 3 aren't great I might pick them up when I'm done to see how everything turns out.

I ended up really liking the 2nd and 3rd books.  Cool story, interesting conflicts.   Definitely finish the series.  Won't take long to bust through them.

Ended up finishing the whole Hunger Games series a couple of weeks back and I'm glad I read all 3. I really enjoyed the whole series and would recommend it to anyone. They are all a very easy read but something totally different.

I'm looking for some book recommendations now. I like the whole concept of the Hunger Games and was hoping to find something along the same lines. The elements I am looking for are something that takes place in the future in America or what America has become, oppressing the majority of the population by an out of touch government/ruler, etc and how the country revolts <--- I'll be honest I am not sure if that all makes sense and I'm not even really sure in my head what types of genres, authors, etc I should be looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

birdman

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on April 01, 2011, 03:29:22 PM

The Hunger Games

Recommend for anyone with middle school age kids that want to read a book with their kid.

I loved this book. My daughter read it and recommended I read it. Really lots of fun, think S. Jackson's The Lottery combined with S. King's The Long Walk.
The next book in the series is OK. The third is downright horrible. Apparently a movie version is in the works. Hopefully they just stick to book I.

Yes!  I forgot about The Long Walk!  What a great short story.  I am going to have to go back and reread that.

I imagine the movie version will be 'kid friendly' but could be so much better if they make it intense and more PG-13 ish.

Picked up "The Hunger Games" last Thursday and I'm pretty much done with already. Very good read, I was a little apprehensive at first based on the book description but its turned into a book I can't put down.

Even though it sounds like books 2 & 3 aren't great I might pick them up when I'm done to see how everything turns out.

I ended up really liking the 2nd and 3rd books.  Cool story, interesting conflicts.   Definitely finish the series.  Won't take long to bust through them.

Ended up finishing the whole Hunger Games series a couple of weeks back and I'm glad I read all 3. I really enjoyed the whole series and would recommend it to anyone. They are all a very easy read but something totally different.

I'm looking for some book recommendations now. I like the whole concept of the Hunger Games and was hoping to find something along the same lines. The elements I am looking for are something that takes place in the future in America or what America has become, oppressing the majority of the population by an out of touch government/ruler, etc and how the country revolts <--- I'll be honest I am not sure if that all makes sense and I'm not even really sure in my head what types of genres, authors, etc I should be looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Try Stephen Kings short story "The Long Walk" . Its part of the Bachman Books compilation (kings pseudonym). Great read.
Paug FTMFW!

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: birdman on April 01, 2011, 04:13:55 PM

The Hunger Games

Try Stephen Kings short story "The Long Walk" . Its part of the Bachman Books compilation (kings pseudonym). Great read.

Thanks!

Looked up on Amazon and its exactly what I am looking for. I've only read "The Green Mile" by Stephen King so I am interested to see how this one is.

cactusfan

The Hunger Games

try The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

ph92

The First 3 Minutes
The Runaway Universe

Bother for my "In the Beginning" class, its about the beginning of the universe and all the theories that surround it (mainly the big bang though). It seems like its gonna be a SICK class.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

gainesvillegreen

The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel.
--Highly recommended for those that like short stories.

The Rings Of Saturn by W.G. Sebald.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

natronzero

Quote from: cactusfan on April 02, 2011, 01:29:07 PM

The Hunger Games

try The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

khalpin

Pretty hilarious.  Nice bathroom reading.

gainesvillegreen

Still on the Collected Stories of Amy Hempel. Recommended if you like Raymond Carver type writing.

Also started -
The News From Paraguay
by Lily Tuck
Winner of the 2004 National Book Award for Fiction

From Publisher's Weekly:
Beautiful Ella Lynch left her native Ireland at 10 and married a French officer at 15; by 19, she is divorced, living with a Russian count and struggling to pay her embittered maid. Thus she's in prime shape to appreciate the quick and ardent attentions of Francisco Solano Lopez, aka Franco, the future dictator of Paraguay, when he spies her on horseback in a Paris park in 1854. Rich, generous and not unhandsome, he makes an appealing lover, and soon Ella is off with him to Paraguay, which he vows to make "a country exactly like France." The story unfolds through Tuck's elegant narration (she flits from one character's point-of-view to another in short segments) and Ella's impassioned diaries. The author's research is impressive (Ella was a real 19th-century courtesan) but never overbearing as she explores the life of a spoiled kept woman in a foreign land, as well as the lives, both high and low, of those around her. Established as Franco's mistress in Asunción, Ella bears Franco many sons, while Franco succeeds his father as ruler and acquires mistress after mistress. Tuck (Siam; Limbo, and Other Places I Have Lived) weaves in the stories of Franco's fat, jealous sisters; a disgraced Philadelphia doctor; Ella's wet nurses; and a righteous U.S. minister, among many others, in a richly layered evocation of a complicated world. When Paraguay finds itself at odds with neighboring countries, the novel chronicles the various tragedies and defeats with a cool and unswerving eye. Tuck's novel may not be for the faint of heart, but it is a rich and rewarding read.

From Booklist:
The news isn't so good, at least by the end of this saga by the author of the award-winning Siam (2000). The focus of her new novel is shared by two actual nineteenth-century historical figures: Paraguayan caudillo Francisco Solano Lopez and his Irish-born mistress, Ella Lynch. From the boulevards of Paris, where Ella meets the magnetic but uncouth South American, she follows him to the very provincial Paraguayan capital, Asuncion, and plays Madame de Pompadour to his Louis XV--but her sexy Franco is a small-time dictator trying to make more of his patria than it can support. A catastrophic war with Brazil and Argentina completely flattens the country. Ella ends her days back in Europe, to live on in history as one of those famous paramours of powerful leaders--always good fodder for historical fiction. This novel moves along swiftly but, unfortunately, not very deeply; characterizations seem more image than substance. Still, this is an interesting time and place, so expect requests from historical-novel lovers

The bold above is what I would make of it. Edward P Jones' The Known World it is not.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

cactusfan

recently read two very different L.A. noirs:

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.
written in the '80s, set in '50, this book is insane. really complex, detailed story. ellroy packs an incredible amount of info into every sentence, you need to pay serious attention. the story is deeply dark and fucked up. two strands which meet up, one about a series of ghastly murders, the other about supposed communist infiltration of hollywood. the various detectives working the cases are all totally screwed up and it all ends badly for almost everyone. good times!

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
his most recent book, set in L.A. in about '71, a pretty breezy and ridiculous noirish book about a stoner hippie private dick and the complicated mystery he unravels while smoking amazing amounts of weed. a very easy read for Pynchon, with his usual humor. pretty light overall, but entertaining.

kellerb

Quote from: cactusfan on April 13, 2011, 11:41:51 PM
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
his most recent book, set in L.A. in about '71, a pretty breezy and ridiculous noirish book about a stoner hippie private dick and the complicated mystery he unravels while smoking amazing amounts of weed. a very easy read for Pynchon, with his usual humor. pretty light overall, but entertaining.

She kidnapped herself, man.

VDB

Quote from: khalpin on April 03, 2011, 04:44:33 PM

Pretty hilarious. Nice bathroom reading.

Hmm.... I'm really no Ozzie aficionado, but I can see this one being good for a few laughs. His "Ask Dr. Ozzy" columns in Rolling Stone are generally a hoot.

Me, right now:

Is this still Wombat?