News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 22, 2011, 02:09:01 PM
Quote from: birdman on August 18, 2011, 08:07:49 PM
Quote from: kellerb on August 18, 2011, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on August 18, 2011, 04:24:40 PM
Finally finished the third dark tower and haven't been able to put this 4th one down.

I like the 4th one a bunch.  Now you'll catch up!
Probably my favorite of the series. Although, book 7 is the tits too.

I Just finished this. Cant remember who recommended it here, but thank you. Awesome read.

Shantaram is a helluva book. And apparently, it was supposed to be the first of 3, but I never heard anything about the next two. Johnny Depp did buy the rights tho and they'll be making a movie based on this first one. Also haven't heard anything more on that though.
I was thinking what a great movie the book would make. It also really makes me want to visit India. Someday.
Paug FTMFW!

gah

Quote from: birdman on August 22, 2011, 03:13:05 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on August 22, 2011, 02:09:01 PM
Quote from: birdman on August 18, 2011, 08:07:49 PM
Quote from: kellerb on August 18, 2011, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on August 18, 2011, 04:24:40 PM
Finally finished the third dark tower and haven't been able to put this 4th one down.

I like the 4th one a bunch.  Now you'll catch up!
Probably my favorite of the series. Although, book 7 is the tits too.

I Just finished this. Cant remember who recommended it here, but thank you. Awesome read.

Shantaram is a helluva book. And apparently, it was supposed to be the first of 3, but I never heard anything about the next two. Johnny Depp did buy the rights tho and they'll be making a movie based on this first one. Also haven't heard anything more on that though.
I was thinking what a great movie the book would make. It also really makes me want to visit India. Someday.

Paug trip for 2025! We can all stay with my cousins!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

iamhydroJen

Just finished reading "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss... I highly recommend it if you're looking for a creative and quick read.

Now onto "The Girl Who Played with Fire" just because I feel like I should finish the series since someone left the whole series with my señora.
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

cactusfan

Quote from: blatboom on August 19, 2011, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on August 18, 2011, 11:40:41 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

hadn't read it since high school. very weird book, even by PKD standards. interesting how entirely different from the movie it is. i forgot that the terms 'blade runner' and 'replicant' weren't even in the book. of even greater note, the entire meaning of the book is the opposite of the movie. while the movie is all about showing how metaphorically we humans are the same as the replicants, the point of the book is to show what separates humans from the androids--empathy. this is why in the movie it works that Deckard is himself a replicant. in the book that would make no sense at all.

the concept of Blade Runner changed drastically once Ridley Scott was brought on board.  you should get your hands on "Dangerous Days", which is the 2.5 hour long feature on the making of Blade Runner. fascinating stuff.

thanks. found it on the interwebs. lot of interesting info in there.

i was going to college in southern california when the workprint was unearthed and played at the Nuart in L.A. in '91. went and saw it and was blown away. the two things i'd always hated about the movie--the voiceover and the ending--were gone, and it was the movie it was so clearly always supposed to be. (well, not quite, it still needed all the final tweaking and the vangelis score put back in, but you know what i mean).

mistercharlie

Just checked out Les Claypool's South of the Pumphouse from the library. It should be a quick read, it's a pretty short book, but with Les's strange point-of-view and eclectic use of words I'm expecting it to be pretty entertaining.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism, by Ha-Joon Chang. Very interesting stuff.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

barnesy305

whyweigh5.0

Finishing this one up right now

and I was at the book store today and picked this one up
http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Books-Dream-Eaters-Two/dp/0553385860/ref=pd_sim_b_2
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

phuzzyfish12

iamhydroJen

Quote from: iamhydroJen on August 25, 2011, 06:05:03 PM
Just finished reading "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss... I highly recommend it if you're looking for a creative and quick read.

Now onto "The Girl Who Played with Fire" just because I feel like I should finish the series since someone left the whole series with my señora.

Finished "The Girl Who Played with Fire" on Monday... I liked it so much better than "Dragon Tattoo" surprisingly.
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

barnesy305

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on September 01, 2011, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 31, 2011, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 31, 2011, 11:33:22 PM

Just finished it myself.

I read that over Christmas this past year. What'd you think?

I enjoyed it.

I really liked it, it seemed to be pretty honest and legit.

Multibeast12

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 01, 2011, 05:25:19 PM

Just finished it myself.

I enjoyed it.

I can echo those sentiments. Great book. super easy read. read it in two 8 hour shifts in the Food Court where i work.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 02, 2011, 12:42:57 PM

Just finished it myself.

I enjoyed it.

I can echo those sentiments. Great book. super easy read. read it in two 8 hour shifts in the Food Court where i work.

I have been enjoying a slow read of this over the last few weeks.  Great perspectives and insight to some interesting history of the band.

Now i have started to reread the Dark Tower series.  All this talk of it in this thread has piqued my interest again.

Multibeast12

Quote from: Mr Minor on September 02, 2011, 03:51:34 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 02, 2011, 12:42:57 PM

Just finished it myself.

I enjoyed it.

I have been enjoying a slow read of this over the last few weeks.  Great perspectives and insight to some interesting history of the band.

Now i have started to reread the Dark Tower series.  All this talk of it in this thread has piqued my interest again.
Also it being the greatest series ever could of done that  :-D. Me and my friends have arguments over whats better A Song of Fire and Ice series or the Dark Tower. Granted i havent finished either but by the 4th dark tower it's just incredible, and basically have heard a lot of ASOFAI and Dark Tower seems better. My friend said a Feast for Crows was boring as hell.