News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DISCO BISCUITS

Started by woodsyn2o, April 24, 2007, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on May 25, 2007, 08:51:41 AM
I don't know where to begin with this statement.  The 1994/12/29 bowie is one Phish's best attempts at creating "orchestral" improvisation (something bisco tries but fails).  I think you could transcribe this bowie note for note and have any phil harmonic play it, and it would floor any classical music audience.  There is no repetition in this version. 
I'll document that now:
0:00-3:20 Delay loop intro > high hat intro
3:21-4:27 Atonal jam based around C# minor scale, and feedback
4:27-7:51 Composition(verse, chorus, composed sections)
The "Orchestra Movements" Movement # 1
7:52- 1st segment of E minor > D major jam  (slight variations develop)
                   *1st theme 9:10- delay loop and minor modulation that builds and releases, 1/2 step to E flat          minor occurs throughout segment, seamless transition back to E minor
                    *2nd theme 10:40- Mike changes bassline, and Trey builds tension, page layers in tonic key, 2nd modulation occurs, change in rhythm and playing in different time signatures
                    *3rd theme 13:05- vii-i  progression(as you labeled it power chords), however it continues to expand and add new chords.  Mike creates a counter melody, and rest of band reacts.  Tension builds into a faster tempo and key change. 
                     *4th theme 15:52- 2nd E minor > D major exploration, with chromatic scales and tempo change.  Leads back into original Bowie jam- 17:45- 18:30
                      *5th theme 18:31- Ascending theme, with dynamics and slower tempo -> modulation into major key (D major).  Page leads jam (~20:30 mark).  Modulation by page to E major.  Page and Mike interact very nicely.  Continues to build, Trey comes in with a melodic melody, and begins picking the same chords that page was playing.  Nice major key jam, Trey takes the lead 22:50 and builds it nicely.  Trey does a great job of hitting the thirds and fifths of pages chords.  Still building to a climax 24:30, Trey soars 24:50-25:15. 

This leads into the "Lassie Theme" I would label 26:00 minute mark the start of the 2nd movement:
1st theme: minor key w/ whistling/talking and delay loop.  Whistling is off beat from loop and tempo.    This continues until 30:45

3rd Movement
Segue back into the bowie theme (very atonal transition with heavy feedback).  This one of the best transitions done by Phish in my opinion, they absolutely nail it.  This ending is orgasmic. 

BOWIE JAM 32:30-end

oh shit!  phan'd and SKOOL'd!  Thems the facts mang, you can't debate that breakdown as "subjective". 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

But you can debate the use of paragraph spacing as a way to make your posts easier to read.

haleakalari

"nail it", "orgasmic", "my opinion", "nice", "the best" etc... all about this particular variation on one specific song.
hmm, sounds pretty subjective to me.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

August

This thread fucking sucks.
a

rowjimmy

Dropping the 5 - 10 words that express subjective opinion about that song still leaves a very precise and clinical description of a performance that is not particularly repetitious.

haleakalari

more subjectivity; "I don't know where to begin with this statement.  The 1994/12/29 bowie is one Phish's best attempts at creating "orchestral" improvisation (something bisco tries but fails).  I think you could transcribe this bowie note for note and have any phil harmonic play it, and it would floor any classical music audience.  There is no repetition in this version." i will not deny it is a thorough attempt at analysis of the song. but it is one individual's analysis, you can break it down differently if you care to put in the effort. if not it doesn't matter. we all seem to enjoy it [this version] so even though i have been a nicely sized chunk of this masturbatory discussion, that is all we have been doing, masturbating, but in the worst way, through a machine without ever achieving orgasm.

rowjimmy

wow. you just took a weird turn, huh?

haleakalari

damnit. i did. but i was totally expecting someone to chime in with "...it performs my daily functions through a tube in my ween.".

rowjimmy

I would say that's probably unlikely.

Blaise

Quote from: Bobafett on May 25, 2007, 10:05:08 AM
and am i the only one who used to BUY X through the slang disco biscuits?

Why does a bisco conversation always have to degenerate into a chat about 'extra-cirricular' use...

WEAK

haleakalari

plz expln cirriculars, i wnt 2 knw... i mean um, you made a spelling error. unless that is a new word, which if it is, i would like to know what it means. and if it is not, did you/or whoever you are quoting intend to use curricular or circular?

rowjimmy

Quote from: Blaise on May 25, 2007, 11:59:57 AM
Why does a bisco conversation always have to degenerate into a chat about 'extra-cirricular' use...

WEAK

While this conversation has not covered very much of that ground... To expect that it shouldn't is, perhaps, naive.

Bobafett

This thread Fucking Rocks! :roll:

edit: and fauxrealllyo, you gotta check out the Ozric Tentacles
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Bobafett

Quote from: Blaise on May 25, 2007, 11:59:57 AM

WEAK

why does a band name themselves after a steet-lingo drug?  weak saux
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sls.stormyrider

for the same reason the Allmans symbol is a mushroom
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."