News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 16, 2011, 01:52:59 PM
Quote from: guyforget on June 16, 2011, 01:45:48 PM
all harpua means anymore is that you get to hear fishman butcher a pop song that ive never heard of

harpua = the new hyhu

I know, but I still have yet to see one.   I know its still lame to "chase" songs, but its on the list.

whats lame about that?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Undermind

Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on June 16, 2011, 02:11:47 PM
all harpua means anymore is that you get to hear fishman butcher a pop song that ive never heard of

harpua = the new hyhu

I know, but I still have yet to see one.   I know its still lame to "chase" songs, but its on the list.

whats lame about that?
I'm still chasing MFMF and Tela
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: Undermind on June 16, 2011, 08:54:39 AM
Poignant recap by my buddy Jeremy on phish.net

http://blog.phish.net/1308198689/alpharetta-2-recap

Nice review, thanks Undermind for pointing this out. Great comments too below the review, a nice cross-section of the Phish community as it is today.

It's completely appropriate to compare tonight against previous Phish shows, rather than against, say, some random hipster band or Britney Spears.

Appropriate or natural do we think? I wonder why, if that is the case, we as a community aren't able to compare this run of shows against, say, all the shows played between 10/8/00-2/13/03 and 8/16/04-3/5/09
on an appropriate or natural basis?

Just woke up from working a shift last night at the hospital, so I've only Timber which is pretty good, looking forward to hearing the rest of the show.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mattstick

If people want to lower the bar and pretend that Phish shows with no jams are awesome - go right ahead. Some of us know the difference though.

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: Undermind on June 16, 2011, 02:12:27 PM
Quote from: whyweigh5.0 on June 16, 2011, 02:11:47 PM

harpua = the new hyhu

whats lame about that?
I'm still chasing MFMF and Tela

The other day I was bitchin about how I keep missing my Mound or Roses and what happens.  I get them both on the same night so I am happy
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

JPhishman

I'd just like to point out that we are all insane for following a band this closely.

and that's cool, of course. Everyone should geek out on something. Just a realization that pops into my head occasionally.

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 02:17:56 PM
If people want to lower the bar and pretend that Phish shows with no jams are awesome - go right ahead. Some of us know the difference though.

truth'd

mehead

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 16, 2011, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 16, 2011, 01:34:53 PM
Quote from: sophist on June 16, 2011, 01:30:57 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 01:28:43 PM
Trey did say they can't play Harpua because they don't know it, and that they would play it soon.

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.

I thought he was making a joke about having to stop playing Mound because they didn't know it. He said something like "That's the real reason."

after listening to it this morning, I would believe it
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

qop24

Quote from: mehead on June 16, 2011, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 16, 2011, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 16, 2011, 01:34:53 PM
Quote from: sophist on June 16, 2011, 01:30:57 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 01:28:43 PM
Trey did say they can't play Harpua because they don't know it, and that they would play it soon.

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.

I thought he was making a joke about having to stop playing Mound because they didn't know it. He said something like "That's the real reason."

after listening to it this morning, I would believe it

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Yeah this wasn't at all about Harpua though, he was "joking" about Mound.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

I'm actually really surprised at how universal the HATE is for this show, though. I mean... It was well played. It had humor. It had great songs... no "duds," if you will. Yet it seems to garner no love in any corner of the online Phish world.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

qop24

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 16, 2011, 02:44:40 PM
I'm actually really surprised at how universal the HATE is for this show, though. I mean... It was well played. It had humor. It had great songs... no "duds," if you will. Yet it seems to garner no love in any corner of the online Phish world.

Had the storm not stopped the first set so abruptly and they played an identical second set to what they played last night, I'm sure people would say it was an average 3.0 show or maybe a little sub-par. It was really hard for everyone to not expect/demand an EPIC jammed out 2nd set after what happened, which obviously led to a major let-down.

I agree with you about the quality of the show, I just think that the storm played a huge factor in the momentum swing as well as getting expectations unreasonably high.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

Hicks

Quote from: qop24 on June 16, 2011, 02:48:08 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 16, 2011, 02:44:40 PM

Had the storm not stopped the first set so abruptly and they played an identical second set to what they played last night, I'm sure people would say it was an average 3.0 show or maybe a little sub-par. It was really hard for everyone to not expect/demand an EPIC jammed out 2nd set after what happened, which obviously led to a major let-down.

I agree with you about the quality of the show, I just think that the storm played a huge factor in the momentum swing as well as getting expectations unreasonably high.

Even without the storm it would have been a fairly bizarre set, I mean everything after Tweezer except for Jibboo was a set closer.

Just really weird in terms of flow, and of course then there's the whole no jams thing.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on June 16, 2011, 02:51:35 PM

Even without the storm it would have been a fairly bizarre set, I mean everything after Tweezer except for Jibboo was a set closer.

Just really weird in terms of flow, and of course then there's the whole no jams thing.

and the night before they started set two with 3 straight traditional set openers and none of them could get off the ground. strange, to say the least.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2011, 02:24:21 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 02:17:56 PM

truth'd

Well, this comes back to whether you compare Phish to Phish or Phish to everything else. A Phish show without jams can still be an awesome show, just not an awesome Phish show.

P.S. Decidedly not awesome is Atlanta traffic. It took us over an hour to go 6 miles on surface streets to get to the highway. People blocking intersections left and right; multiple places where Atlanta PD was pulling traffic detail (I guess this is a daily feature around the city?). It reminded me of all the fun times I used to have driving around greater Houston during rush hour(s), but this might have been more ridiculous. And it made me glad that I don't have to deal with traffic like that every day any more.
Is this still Wombat?