News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post Show Discussion

Started by whatapiper, January 01, 2012, 12:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 03, 2012, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: sophist on January 03, 2012, 04:44:04 PM
::heads straight to spreadsheet and downloads 12/31/93::
::passes go but does not collect $200 lot dollars::

prepare for yem rawk peak face meltage.

He's really gonna hate 3.0 now.

shoreline99

Quote from: Augustus on January 03, 2012, 03:22:13 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 03, 2012, 03:17:32 PM
Quote from: slslbs on January 03, 2012, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Augustus on January 03, 2012, 02:27:05 PM
It's funny when people say that "you had to be there".
I've done a bunch of NYE at MSG and no energy in that room is gonna make this show (or run) sound good.
on the other hand, I wasn't at any of them. I'll take it on faith that everyone there had a great time, and have no problem with that.
When I listen to a show like 12/31/95 or 98 (or 93 or 94), you can't help but dance around. you didn't have to be there to get it, although I'm sure it would have been that much better if I was.

as an aside, I've been to more than one show that I love when I was there, heard it a couple times on playback, and won't listen to again.

Exactly, and really this where my beef with 3.0 lies.

The Phish I love was great for home listening too, and I think that getting into the band via tapes is a HUGE part of what the band and the culture that surrounds them has always been about.

It's just kind of sad that you can't get that same experience from 3.0.

I have two "you had to be there" shows...12-31-1995 and 09-29-2000.
That's the thing with 3.0, tho. People just HATE when you bash the show that they traveled to,  spent insane amounts of money on tickets for, took vacation time, used flight points on and spent $90 on schwag beer and $100 on drugs to only have to log on to week4paug and see couch surfers bash "their" show.

Agreed, but for a nugget like 8/14/09 every now and then, I'll still make the drive once a year or so. I've said before that JB2 of Summer 2010 was the turning point for me. Tour closer and the boys phoned it in. I even got roped into driving to Great Woods this summer after I said I wasn't going to go; although i had a good time with friends the show was average 3.0.

Don't think I'd pony up $500 or more to get STEAMED at MSG, but if a ticket landed in my lap and I was going with some paugers I'd hit it up. Live show is a live show.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

McGrupp

I've done a bunch of NYE at MSG and no energy in that room is gonna make this show (or run) sound good.
on the other hand, I wasn't at any of them. I'll take it on faith that everyone there had a great time, and have no problem with that.
When I listen to a show like 12/31/95 or 98 (or 93 or 94), you can't help but dance around. you didn't have to be there to get it, although I'm sure it would have been that much better if I was.

as an aside, I've been to more than one show that I love when I was there, heard it a couple times on playback, and won't listen to again.

The Phish I love was great for home listening too, and I think that getting into the band via tapes is a HUGE part of what the band and the culture that surrounds them has always been about.

That's the thing with 3.0, tho. People just HATE when you bash the show that they traveled to,  spent insane amounts of money on tickets for, took vacation time, used flight points on and spent $90 on schwag beer and $100 on drugs to only have to log on to week4paug and see couch surfers bash "their" show.

This is pretty much the point I've been trying to make this whole time, but in fewer words. Thanks aug.

And as shoreline said, a live show is a live show. I know the word is sort of a joke around here at this point, but phish shows are fun! They're a party band, and always have been... Just sometimes the music has been better than other times...
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

aphineday

Quote from: McGrupp on January 03, 2012, 09:06:59 PM

This is pretty much the point I've been trying to make this whole time, but in fewer words. Thanks aug.

And as shoreline said, a live show is a live show. I know the word is sort of a joke around here at this point, but phish shows are fun! They're a party band, and always have been... Just sometimes the music has been better than other times...
This is true, I always have a good time. That being said, there are often times in 3.0 that my buzz gets killed by aborted jams (or just lack of jams in general). I still go back, but damn.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mehead

Quote from: Fluffhead234508 on January 01, 2012, 06:09:55 PM
I used to be jealous of the phans who got to see Phish back in the 90s, but now I think the veterans should be jealous of the noobs, we actually get to enjoy the shows.  Last night was, simply put, the greatest experience of my entire life.  I do not care that they didn't take any risks.  I do not care that they didn't jam.  I do not care that they played Alaska and Velvet in the 3rd set.  What I do care about is everyone in my section hugging each other during fluffhead.  I care about seeing Lawn Boy and realizing how special of a song it is to experience live.  I care about the smiles on Trey and Mike's faces as they ran around the stage in the 3rd set.  Most importantly, I care that I live in a world where I get to experience this superhuman artistic experience.  Thank you Phish

Dude, you've got to explain this one to me.  This is hilarious!  Please help me understand what it is I'm supposed to be jealous of and what exactly do you mean that you actually get to enjoy the shows.

One of the most dumbfounding things I have ever read - anywhere.

:roll:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

McGrupp

Quote from: mehead on January 03, 2012, 10:45:47 PM
I used to be jealous of the phans who got to see Phish back in the 90s, but now I think the veterans should be jealous of the noobs, we actually get to enjoy the shows.  Last night was, simply put, the greatest experience of my entire life.  I do not care that they didn't take any risks.  I do not care that they didn't jam.  I do not care that they played Alaska and Velvet in the 3rd set.  What I do care about is everyone in my section hugging each other during fluffhead.  I care about seeing Lawn Boy and realizing how special of a song it is to experience live.  I care about the smiles on Trey and Mike's faces as they ran around the stage in the 3rd set.  Most importantly, I care that I live in a world where I get to experience this superhuman artistic experience.  Thank you Phish

Dude, you've got to explain this one to me.  This is hilarious!  Please help me understand what it is I'm supposed to be jealous of and what exactly do you mean that you actually get to enjoy the shows.

Yeah...
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Superfreakie

Quote from: McGrupp on January 03, 2012, 11:07:04 PM

Yeah...

In defense of Fluffhead1234 or whatever#, my most favorite GD experience in person of all the GD shows I caught from 89 to 95, and I am embarrassed to admit this, is Shoreline '95 third night. It's a trainwreck of a show on tape, a total fucking disaster. Jerry couldn't play a note to save his life. But tears fell from the speakers that night. I finally got backstage, like real backstage, was flying on a thumbprint that well......, was winning at life, had the hottest California girlfriend EVAH, and in my state it sounded like the greatest GD show ever played. The emotions that show brought forth, I will take to my grave. For a very small sliver of time, the universe revealed itself to me and I understood its magic. If you asked me to give up all the GD shows/experiences I caught live, save for one, it would be Shoreline '95. Keep in mind, I saw caught pretty decent GD shows. Perception is everything, reality means nothing.   

Oh, I'm loaded drunk right now. This post took me an hour to write.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 04, 2012, 12:07:52 AM

Yeah...

In defense of Fluffhead1234 or whatever#, my most favorite GD experience in person of all the GD shows I caught from 89 to 95, and I am embarrassed to admit this, is Shoreline '95 third night. It's a trainwreck of a show on tape, a total fucking disaster. Jerry couldn't play a note to save his life. But tears fell from the speakers that night. I finally got backstage, like real backstage, was flying on a thumbprint that well......, was winning at life, had the hottest California girlfriend EVAH, and in my state it sounded like the greatest GD show ever played. The emotions that show brought forth, I will take to my grave. For a very small sliver of time, the universe revealed itself to me and I understood its magic. If you asked me to give up all the GD shows/experiences I caught live, save for one, it would be Shoreline '95. Keep in mind, I saw caught pretty decent GD shows. Perception is everything, reality means nothing.   

Gonna go ahead and quote this one for posterity just in case you are tempted to delete it.      :laugh:

Also, something tells me this Fluffhead guy was not on a thumbprint at MSG.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: sophist on January 03, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
Quote from: Augustus on January 03, 2012, 04:48:58 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 03, 2012, 04:35:12 PM
I've said it before, but on tape I prefer 98 over 95.

::ducks::

^^^

paug status removed
I'm surprised RJ even let that post through.

Too busy reeling from your ridiculous revelation. Glad to see you're on top of that problem.
Ikki, on the other hand, he's just gonna go right ahead and be wrong and I can't stop him.

qop24

Pretty sure what he's saying is that he's glad he's able to enjoy all eras of phish, rather than only accepting one version of the band.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

shoreline99

Yeah...

I'm gonna go ahead and +k you right now.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: shoreline99 on January 04, 2012, 09:27:51 AM

Yeah...

I'm gonna go ahead and +k you right now.

Seriously. Reading that post was more fun than listening to this show.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

I had one of the best nights of my life on 6/21/09. I'd never say it was a good show.

VA $l!m

/signed.

personally 97, 98, 99 are my fav 3 years before everything else.
and then i will 94 and 93 before i'll get to 95.
just taste.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 04, 2012, 11:01:52 AM

/signed.

personally 97, 98, 99 are my fav 3 years before everything else.
and then i will 94 and 93 before i'll get to 95.
just taste.
so

Does not compute
Paug FTMFW!