News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Hicks on October 07, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on October 07, 2009, 12:26:29 AM
Just got back from Grizzly Bear and Beach House opened up. Great show. It was awesome to see a band pull out some tricks to wow the crowd. (ohhh, i can see where that sentence might end up). No but seriously, they had 6 tree's (used for can lights) set up around the stage with power cords coming off them with mason jars and lights in the middle. And the lights guy, asides from the stage lights, used those to create effects as well, which would be easy with a 24 digital light mixer, but it was cool for someone to have thought of that and use it, that is all. Pretty good show all around. Thanks hicks for the push to go.

Nice!  Yeah their singing really impressed me when I saw them. 

That Beach House youtube you posted was pretty cool, were they good too?

Def. Walked in during their 2nd song. They did 45 mins. The womans voice is awesome, thought it was ok off their webpage and youtube stuff, but live, it was great. Then, when she came out for a couple of their tunes, it was cool too. Anyhow, Grizzly Bear really was a good call for a random Tuesday night. It was about 8:05, and I was still debating it, and called my buddy up, and was like, Well, my friend told me they were a great live show, maybe we should go check em out. And he says, cool by me, and so there you go. Was in by 8:25, and had a wonderful time. Even ran into some cats going to the WSP and ABB show tomorrow night, so good times all around. Thanks again Hicks!  :beers:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Bob Dylan 10/07/09
Memorial Coliseum

Great to finally see him and he played a lot of big guns, Ballad of a Thin Man, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, All Along the Watchtower, Like a Rolling Stone.

Dude still has it! 

Good to kick with caravan a bit too.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

10/07/09 ABB and WSP
NTELOS Wireless Pavilion, Portsmouth, VA

Allman Brothers Band

Don't Keep Me Wonderin', Statesboro Blues, Hoochie Coochie Man, Come On In My Kitchen, No One To Run With, Stormy Monday, The Same Thing, Franklin's Tower*#, Midnight Rider, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed#
Enc: You Don't Love Me
Notes: * With Dave Schools, Jimmy Herring, Todd Nance, and Sonny Ortiz. # Without Gregg.

Widespread Panic

From the Cradle > Can't Get High > Love Tractor, I'm Not Alone, Imitation Leather Shoes > Jack > Impossible > Nobody's Fault But Mine* > Blight > Driving Song > Disco > drumz > Solid Rock > All Time Low > Under the Radar Jam > Driving Song > Conrad
Notes: * Without JoJo.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 07, 2009, 12:42:04 AM
Just got back from Grizzly Bear and Beach House opened up. Great show. It was awesome to see a band pull out some tricks to wow the crowd. (ohhh, i can see where that sentence might end up). No but seriously, they had 6 tree's (used for can lights) set up around the stage with power cords coming off them with mason jars and lights in the middle. And the lights guy, asides from the stage lights, used those to create effects as well, which would be easy with a 24 digital light mixer, but it was cool for someone to have thought of that and use it, that is all. Pretty good show all around. Thanks hicks for the push to go.

Def. Walked in during their 2nd song. They did 45 mins. The womans voice is awesome, thought it was ok off their webpage and youtube stuff, but live, it was great. Then, when she came out for a couple of their tunes, it was cool too. Anyhow, Grizzly Bear really was a good call for a random Tuesday night. It was about 8:05, and I was still debating it, and called my buddy up, and was like, Well, my friend told me they were a great live show, maybe we should go check em out. And he says, cool by me, and so there you go. Was in by 8:25, and had a wonderful time. Even ran into some cats going to the WSP and ABB show tomorrow night, so good times all around. Thanks again Hicks!  :beers:

Beach House are pretty cool. Gave them a nice write-up on my blog a few months ago:

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/werksman/archive/2008/07/13/401433.aspx
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gah

Quote from: mopper_smurf on October 08, 2009, 04:39:41 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on October 07, 2009, 12:42:04 AM

Beach House are pretty cool. Gave them a nice write-up on my blog a few months ago:

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/werksman/archive/2008/07/13/401433.aspx

I keep getting a text application error with the link?  :? :|

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on October 08, 2009, 12:21:30 PM
Bob Dylan 10/07/09
Memorial Coliseum

Great to finally see him and he played a lot of big guns, Ballad of a Thin Man, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, All Along the Watchtower, Like a Rolling Stone.

Dude still has it! 

Good to kick with caravan a bit too.

yeah, fun show...It was cool to see him with Charlie Sexton again, that guy is a mean guitar player...

postjack

The Dead Weather, last weekend in New Orleans. Awesome show. Jack definitely put his White Stripes money into this one. All custom instruments, gloss white with gold trim, except the gorgeous drum set which was silver trim. Most of the cables were coiled, like old telephone cords. The whole band was great, and switched up instruments pretty regularly. The real star was Alison Bonhart (sp?) the lead vocalist, who was out of this world. She was cool and sexy, and also had that your friends divorced mom who drinks and smokes all the time thing going on? Like "so what are you boys up to tonight" kind of thing. The way she walked across the monitors in her high heels was intriguing. (few shoddy pics attached)

Last night, Allman Brothers and Widespread Panic at the BJCC in Birmingham, AL, where I'm sitting at a friends house right now. Music started at 7:10, and ended around 12:20am. Long ass night of music. Brothers opened, a smoking set which included a Little Martha > Mountain Jam > Smokestack Lightening (with Col. Bruce Hampton on vocals!) > drums > Mountain Jam, and an encore of Blackhearted Woman > The Other One jam.

And Panic certainly rose to the occasion; its Panic in Bham and we knew they wouldn't disappoint. Opener of The Take Out > Diner > Rock let the crowd know we were in for some vintage Panic, no screwing around. Later a massive Slippin' Into Darkness with Warren and Quinones. Greg Allman came out for a Dylan cover, Just Like a Woman. Encored with Expiration Day, a Vic Chesnutt tune that is really special to me, and a perfectly executed Goin' Out West.

A great time was had by all. The crowd was partying its ass off but with a minimum of drama, at least from my perspective.  My friend did see a guy with an open container get arrested with zero warning by a cop, while a guy caddied his nitrous tank through the lot five feet away.  :frustrated:
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Buffalo Budd

Grand Theft Bus at l'Osmose Friday night.
Local band from the Maritimes, been around for quite a few years.  I hadn't seen them in over a year and had heard they are taking a break due to their drummer moving away.  That didn't seem to be evident as they were very tight and pulled off a great set with some decent jams and some great danceable grooves..
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Mr Minor

Keller Williams last night in Grand Rapids, MI.

Great show.  I had a blast!
  And I saw one mic there. So here's hoping cuz it was a super fun show.  He kept talking about "Happy Tuesday" and it's a midweek party for him, too.  I think he was blown out as there was a theme of "forgetfulness"  and "weed" throughout the show.
  :banana:

Lifeboy

Umphrey's Mcgee at the House of Blues in Dallas about a month ago. Sub-par performance IMO.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Poster Nutbag

Toubab Krewe at The Sail Inn in Tempe, Az... Absolutely fabulous show, The sail Inn is my home away from home with a back outdoor stage... I think the band loved it, The weather is so beautiful here at this time of year and the band rocked it... Nice improvement from the last time I saw them, I liked the way they added in some numbers with dual guitars...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Mr Minor

Quote from: tipetoo on October 14, 2009, 02:40:54 PM
Umphrey's Mcgee at the House of Blues in Dallas about a month ago. Sub-par performance IMO.

I think that is the direction the band is going.  I think they were pretty tight years ago, but the more I hear their recent stuff, the more I think it's just not getting any better.

postjack

Quote from: Mr Minor on October 16, 2009, 07:28:07 AM

I think that is the direction the band is going.  I think they were pretty tight years ago, but the more I hear their recent stuff, the more I think it's just not getting any better.

I'm no UM expert, but they blew me away at Wanee this past summer.  Just a standard hour long festival afternoon set, but it was great.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

kellerb

That does appear to be a sub-par performance.  I saw them 10/01 and it was very above-par.  They seem to still be treating some of the newer material 'tentatively'

Caravan2001

Monsters of Folk
10/14/09, Portland, OR
Schnizter Hall

OK, I hate Conor Oberst, I don't really like M.Ward, but I am a giant Jim James fanboy.....I would probably pay to see him shit on stage...

Anyhoo, this was an awesome show....They played a ton of MMJ stuff, the slide player from Bright Eyes kicked ass, and M.Ward is actually really good....I really liked the stuff from the album (which I highly recommend) and each of the performers material was great too, of course I liked the MMJ stuff the best, and it was cool to see it done with other artists....Very good band....we had great seats and I taped it, which came out good...Go see them if they come to your town (even though it is expensive!)